Worthington Industries Plant Engineer in North Las Vegas, Nevada
Date:Mar 12, 2021
Location:North Las Vegas, NV, US, 89031
Company:Worthington Industries, Inc
Employee Referral Bonus Eligible Amount -$0.00
The Plant Engineer is responsible for providing engineering leadership to all plant functions including operations, maintenance, and other technical areas of manufacturing. This position provides support for local strategic planning, optimization of plant equipment, and maximizing production efficiencies through engineering design and project management. The role will plan, direct and coordinate manufacturing activities as related to the design, construction, modification, performance and maintenance of equipment and machinery. The Plant Engineer is responsible for planning, administering, and completing assigned projects, which may cross several functional areas, such as facilities, operations, and maintenance.
Although based in WAVE Las Vegas, this position will provide engineering project management support for other west coast WAVE locations: Cerritos, CA and Fontana, CA. The Plant Engineer and Project Manager reports directly to the Director of Corporate Engineering (Malvern, PA), with dotted-line reporting to the General Manager of WAVE Las Vegas.
Critical outputs of this role are:
• Improved operations performance metrics and productivity.
• Capital and strategic project management.
• Coordinate and direct local technical resources to meet safety, cost, performance, and service targets.
• Equipment and process troubleshooting.
• Ensure that manufacturing equipment and processes are compliant with codes and standards by preparing technical drawings or other related documentation.
Leadership in this role is expected to:
• Demonstrate leadership for a safe working environment. Support the company’s 8-Step Safety Process.
• Support the Worthington Philosophy and Armstrong Principles
• Develop both individual and team skillsets to support changing business needs.
Plant Engineer Responsibilities
• Day-to-day tasks include determining standards and policies for installation, modification, quality control, inspection and maintenance of building and equipment.
• Lead and/or provide engineering support for continuous improvement and capital build-out projects.
• Improve efficiency, upgrade to new technologies, repair equipment, increase production and reduce bottlenecks in manufacturing.
• Maintain facility drawings and ensure that applicable drawings follow change notice procedures for any modifications.
• Update and produce drawings for equipment layouts, process flows, building structure and utilities based on observation and interpretation of engineering plans.
• Manage the maintenance of CAD library (Vault).
• Check conformity of new tooling/equipment and coordinate Engineering Change Orders.
• Assess and support management of obsolete equipment and components.
Project Management Responsibilities
• Conduct preliminary investigations for all project requests: review requirements, specifications, test, support, and training plans to ensure they are aligned with objectives.
• Be the technical lead on assigned projects as related to design, analysis and layouts of buildings, equipment, tooling, state regulations, federal regulations, manufacturing efficiency and managing contractors.
• Support the specification, purchase, installation and commissioning activities for equipment and systems, as required.
• Troubleshoot problems and lead corrective actions on equipment and tooling installations.
• Collaborate with New Product Development and Marketing departments to support new product launches.
• Prepare project reports, cost estimates and schedules; apply project management principles to meet project deliverables of time, cost, and performance.
• Travel to multiple sites to manage machinery, tooling and equipment installation, drive project execution and coordinate resources on site. Travel approximately 15%.Key Performance Indicators
• Safety Performance – OSHA rate, compliance to codes and policies, evidence of reducing risks.
• Project Management – safety, cost, schedule, standard work, and performance commitments.
• Engineering – Equipment design, drawing revisions, first-time quality, lean integration, and concept-to-execution ease.
Education, Experience, and/or Training
• Required; 5+ years relevant experience in manufacturing environment.
• Required; BS in Engineering or equivalent (Mechanical Engineering preferred).
• Required; relevant experience in project management.
• Preferred; lean manufacturing training or experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Results oriented professional who can work across organizational lines and who can achieve business objectives through personal initiative.
• Demonstrated leadership ability through managing cross -organizational teams at multiple levels to drive all parts of the organization to consensus.
• Strong knowledge of process improvement tools/techniques.
• Strong oral and written communications skills.
• Demonstrate ability to identify complex problems and develop corrective action plan to implement solutions.
Bachelors in Engineering General
Worthington Industries (NYSE:WOR) is a leading global industrial manufacturing company delivering innovative solutions to customers that span many industries including transportation, construction, industrial, agriculture, retail and energy. Worthington is North America’s premier value-added steel processor and producer of laser welded products; and a leading global supplier of pressure cylinders and accessories for applications such as fuel storage, water systems, outdoor living, tools and celebrations. The Company’s brands, primarily sold in retail stores, include Coleman®, Bernzomatic®, Balloon Time®, Mag Torch® and Well-X-Trol®. Worthington’s WAVE joint venture with Armstrong is the North American leader in innovative ceiling solutions.
Headquartered in Columbus, Ohio, and founded in 1955, the Company follows a people-first philosophy with earning money for its shareholders as its first corporate goal. Relentlessly finding new ways to drive progress and practicing a shared commitment to transformation, Worthington makes better solutions possible for customers, employees, shareholders and communities.